If you are a keen hiker, you have to come to Slovenia! You surely won't get bored here! Slovenia is located at the southeastern tip of the Alps and offers more than 9000 kilometers of marked hiking trails of all difficulties. They spread from the Adriatic sea, through endless vineyards and green forests to the vertical white walls of Slovenia's highest peaks.
The optimal hiking season runs from June till October when the majority of 176 mountain huts, shelters and bivouacs are open for hikers. The rest of the year the highest mountains are covered with snow and are ''reserved'' for the experienced mountaineers. But the rest of Slovenia offers plenty of nice and less demanding hiking options throughout the whole year.
Slovenians love our mountains and hiking is probably one of the most popular activities in Slovenia. Triglav (the highest Slovenian mountain) is our pride and symbol. Every ''real'' Slovenian should climb it at least once, although it's not an easy summit.
The most spectacular Slovenian mountains are the Julian Alps - the home of the amazing Triglav national Park. It is located in the north-western part of Slovenia with Bohinj, Bled, Kranjska Gora and the Soča valley (Bovec & Kobarid) being the best starting points for your hiking adventures. Here you'll find Slovenia's highest peaks, beautiful limestone walls, jaw-dropping views and numerous waterfalls.
Another excellent hiking location is the Kamnik-Savinja Alps, which start right at the northern tip of the Ljubljana basin. Mount Grintovec is the highest peak of the region, Logar valley is one of the most picturesque corners of Slovenia, and don't forget about the fairytale herdsmen village on Velika Planina. If you are looking for a place to get away from it all and enjoy amazing mountain views in this part of Slovenia - rent this lonely shepherd's cottage.
Other parts of Slovenia are slightly less spectacular in terms of high alpine scenery. Nevertheless, the whole country has plenty to offer to all hikers who would like to enjoy the fresh air of lush forests and get to know the friendly countryside.
We have four hiking recommendations for you:
- Check this extensive post to learn more about HIKING IN SLOVENIA.
- Check the list of our ''do it yourself'' HIKING TRIPS ALL OVER SLOVENIA.
- Do you prefer short & beautiful walks? Take a look at these AWESOME NATURAL SIGHTS.
- Do you need planning help or prefer a guided tour? TAKE OUR GUIDED OR SELF-GUIDED HIKING TOURS!
Here are some of the hiking or mountaineering tours that we like the most:
- Triglav - a long and demanding tour to our highest mountain
- Mangart - relatively short hike with stunning mountain ambiance. A difficult and a bit less demanding option is possible
- Slemenova špica - a popular easy hike with amazing views
- Kanjavec - amazing hike along the valley of Seven Triglav lakes
- Mala Mojstrovka - a popular 2000-meter peak with a via-ferrata as an option
- Velika planina - easy hike on Slovenia's biggest alpine meadow
- Martuljek waterfalls - beautiful nature, amazing waterfalls and good home-made food
If you have any further questions about hiking in Slovenia, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be glad to help.